The International Bunker Industry Association Ltd (IBIA) was conceived in October 1992 by eight members of the industry. Since then it has expanded steadily with a world wide membership comprising Ship Owners, Charterers, Bunker Suppliers, Traders, Brokers, Barging Companies, Storage Companies, Surveyors, Port Authorities, Credit reporting companies, Lawyers, P & I Clubs, Equipment Manufacturers, Shipping Journalists and Marine Consultants. Today membership stands at over 600 members from 66 countries.
IBIA today represents the industry at the International Maritime Organization (IMO) as a consultative non-governmental organisation. At IMO we ensure that legislators hear the voice of the suppliers and end users of marine fuels. IBIA was represented on the Expert Panel in 2007 which reported to IMO about the implications of proposed revisions to MARPOL Annex VI. IBIA attends all meetings of the Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC), Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) and the Bulk Liquids and Gases (BLG sub-committee).
IBIA has also been granted “liaison status” with the International Standards Organisation (ISO). This will enable IBIA to contribute to future discussion regarding ISO 8217 and ISO 13739.
Aims of the Association
- To provide an international forum for bunker industry issues;
- To represent the industry in discussions and negotiations with national and international policy makers, legislators and other groups and bodies;
- To review, clarify, improve, develop and endorse where appropriate, industry methods, practices and documentation;
- To increase the professional understanding and competence of all who work in the industry;
- To provide services and facilities for members and others as the Board shall from time to time consider appropriate.